Christ Episcopal Church
At Christ Church, worship is the center of all that we do. Lay people participate with the clergy in the conduct of worship. All are welcome to receive the sacrament of the Holy Eucharist (Communion), and we welcome children at the communion rail.
We engage in a variety of Outreach ministries in the immediate community and beyond and have active men’s and women’s groups and children’s Sunday morning activities, in addition to their participation in the worship.
Christ Church was founded in 1883 and consecrated in 1888. The pews in Christ Church were donated by Bruton Parish, Williamsburg. The pews had replaced the original colonial pews in Bruton Parish in 1840. In 1905,when Bruton Parish was restored to its original style, its congregation gave the pews to Christ Church.
We are a lively and active Household of Faith. We hope that you will visit us soon either in person or via online worship.
–The Reverend Michael Stone, Rector
–The Reverend Dr. Bruce Gray, Priest Associate
ECW (Episcopal Church Women)
In 1872, women of the church formed the National Women’s Auxiliary as a way to take part in church life. The national organization connected provincial, diocesan and parish branches, enabling women to apply their energy and imagination to church life in a range of ways and bringing our leadership skills into the church. In 1958 the Auxiliary was renamed the Episcopal Church Women (ECW) to recognize the fact that women are an integral part of the church’s life. In more recent times with the full incorporation of women in every aspect of the life of the Church, the ECW still provides a vehicle for fellowship among the women of the Church as well as a place for the exercise of their unique ministries.
The ECW is over 100 years old and has a long, strong tradition of offering spiritual, financial and physical support for a host of parish, regional and diocesan programs, including support for Girls and Boys Homes in Virginia, two local food banks and various other ministries. They also knit prayer shawls which are blessed at the Altar and given to the ill and those recovering from illness or surgery.
The ECW holds Martha’s Market every fall with crafts and various canned goods and fabulous baked wares to fund their ministries throughout the year.